Robert Berisford Brown or popularly known as Booby Brown is an American R&B singer, songwriter, rapper, and dancer. Bobby Brown is noted as a pioneer of new jack swing, a fusion of hip hop and R&B. He started his career in the R&B and pop group New Edition in 1981.
He is also successful in his solo career with albums like Don’t Be Cruel in 1988 and Every Little Step in 1989, for which he has won the prestigious Grammy Award. Let’s know about Bobby Brown net worth, his personal and professional life, income source, and a lot more.
Bobby Brown was born in Boston, Massachusetts on 5 February 1969. He was one of eight children of Carole Elizabeth and Herbert James Brown. Carole was a substitute teacher and Herbert was a construction worker. Brown and his siblings grew up in Roxbury’s Orchard Park Projects.
Bobby took part in several shop robberies with street gangs. He was shot in the knee during a clash between gangs. He got the influence of music from his childhood idol, James Brown. He joined the church choir where he developed his singing abilities.
In 1981, Brown and two of his friends formed the band New Edition. At that time, Brown was only 12 years old. Their debut album Candy Girl reached number 20 on the Billboard R&B singles chart. In 1986, he left the band to pursue his solo career.
In the same year, Brown released his first solo album, King of Stage and it was a success. He then paired with R&B songwriters and producers like Teddy Riley, L.A. Reid, and Babyface. They, together, released Don’t Be Cruel in 1988 which was a mega-hit and it was sold over 12 million copies worldwide.
Height, Weight, and Other Measurements
Height1.78 m / 5’ 10”
Weight86 Kg / 189 lbs
Eye ColorDark Brown
Brown became a father at a very early age. When he was 17, he had two children with Kim Ward. They dated from 1989 to 1991. Then he married Whitney Houston and this was sustained from 1992 to 2006. He was one daughter in this marriage. After splitting with Houston, he started dating Alicia Etheridge and they got married in 2012.
Full NameRobert Berisford Brown
Date of Birth5 February 1969
WifeAlicia Etheredge (m. 2012), Whitney Houston (m. 1992–2007)
SiblingLeolah Brown, Tommy Brown
ChildrenBobbi Kristina Brown, Bobby Brown Jr., Landon Brown, La'Princia Brown
Bobby Brown has had a long and influential career in the music industry. Here's an overview of his career:
1. New Edition (1981-1985): Bobby Brown's music career began as a member of the R&B group New Edition, which he joined in 1981. New Edition achieved great success during this period with hits like "Candy Girl," "Mr. Telephone Man," and "Cool It Now." However, he left the group in 1985 to pursue a solo career.
2. Solo Career (1986-present): Bobby Brown's solo career took off in the mid-1980s with the release of his debut album, "King of Stage" (1986). He gained immense popularity and critical acclaim with his second album, "Don't Be Cruel" (1988). This album included hit singles like "My Prerogative" and "Every Little Step," which became signature songs of his career.
3. Continued Success (1990s): In the early 1990s, he released his third album, "Bobby" (1992), which featured successful tracks like "Humpin' Around." His music continued to be well-received by fans and the music industry during this period.
4. Collaborations and Contributions: Throughout his career, Bobby Brown collaborated with various artists and contributed to soundtracks. He worked on soundtracks for movies like "Ghostbusters II" and collaborated with other musicians on songs like "Two Can Play That Game" with Karyn White.
5. Personal Struggles: Alongside his music career, Bobby Brown's personal life and struggles with addiction and legal issues have been highly publicized. His marriage to the late Whitney Houston, one of the greatest singers of all time, was often in the media spotlight.
6. Legacy: Despite his personal challenges, Bobby Brown's impact on the R&B and hip-hop music scene is significant. He is often credited with helping to pioneer the new jack swing style of music and remains an influential figure in the genre. His songs from the late 1980s and early 1990s are still widely recognized and played today.
Throughout his career, Bobby Brown has experienced both commercial success and personal setbacks, but his contributions to the music industry and his influence on the R&B and hip-hop genres are enduring aspects of his legacy.
Willow Smith Net Worth
Bobby Brown earns mostly from his music production. It is something that gave his earnings a boost. He also earns from singing and dancing. He is an entrepreneur too and has several investments here and there. He earns a good amount from there too. Everything sums up his net wealth today.
Net Worth$3 Million
HouseThe 8,022-square-foot Alpharetta, Georgia, mansion
Income SourceActor, Songwriter, Rapper, Dancer, Producer
Awards & Achievements
Bobby Brown, the American R&B singer, songwriter, and actor, has achieved recognition and accolades for his contributions to the music industry. Here are some of the notable awards and achievements in his career:
American Music Awards: Bobby Brown received several American Music Awards during his career, including awards for Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist and Favorite Soul/R&B Album.
Soul Train Music Awards: He won several Soul Train Music Awards, including Best R&B/Urban Contemporary Album of the Year for "Don't Be Cruel."
Grammy Awards: Bobby Brown received Grammy Award nominations during his career, with his album "Don't Be Cruel" being nominated for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance.
Billboard Music Awards: He earned Billboard Music Awards for Top Selling Album of the Year and Top Selling R&B Album of the Year for "Don't Be Cruel."
MTV Video Music Awards: Brown's music videos were recognized at the MTV Video Music Awards, and he received nominations in categories like Best Male Video and Best Dance Video.
Lifetime Achievement Awards: In recognition of his contributions to the music industry, Bobby Brown received lifetime achievement awards and honors.
Chart-Topping Hits: Brown's music, including songs like "My Prerogative" and "Every Little Step," achieved high chart positions and were widely acclaimed by both fans and critics.
Influence on New Jack Swing: He is often credited with helping to pioneer the new jack swing style of music, which had a significant impact on R&B and hip-hop during the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Longevity in the Industry: Bobby Brown's music and career have left a lasting impact on the music industry, and he is recognized as an influential figure in the world of R&B and hip-hop.
Legacy: His songs from the late 1980s and early 1990s remain iconic, and he continues to be celebrated for his contributions to the music industry.
Bobby Brown's awards and achievements reflect his success and influence in the music industry, particularly during the late 1980s and early 1990s. His music continues to be celebrated, and his legacy endures in the world of R&B and hip-hop.
Bobby Brown Facts
- Bobby Brown started his music career at a young age. He joined the group New Edition when he was just 9 years old.
- He left the group New Edition in the mid-1980s to pursue a solo career, a decision that ultimately led to his own success as a solo artist.
- Bobby Brown is often recognized for his role in popularizing the new jack swing music style, which combined elements of R&B, hip-hop, and dance music. His album "Don't Be Cruel" is considered a hallmark of this genre.
- One of his biggest hits, "My Prerogative," became an anthem for individuality and independence and is still widely recognized and played today.
- In addition to his music career, Bobby Brown has appeared in several films, including "Ghostbusters II" and "A Thin Line Between Love and Hate."
- Throughout his career, Bobby Brown faced personal challenges, including legal issues and addiction problems. His turbulent marriage to Whitney Houston was often in the media spotlight.
- He is not only a talented singer but also a skilled dancer, which added to his appeal as an entertainer.
- Bobby Brown and his family appeared in a reality television series called "Being Bobby Brown," which aired on Bravo in 2005. The show offered a glimpse into their lives.
- Bobby Brown's music and style have influenced many contemporary R&B and hip-hop artists, and he is often cited as an inspiration by younger musicians.
- Despite his personal challenges, Bobby Brown's contributions to the music industry and his influence on R&B and hip-hop are enduring. His songs from the late 1980s and early 1990s continue to be celebrated and played.
Despite having a notorious childhood and several turning points, Bobby Brown is so successful today that his fans are eager to know Bobby Brown net worth and other information. Hope you have found what you were searching for, for so long.